Today was the first day that it really felt like fall here, so in honor of that, I made veggie chili and cornbread. This chili is “medium spicy” with the amount of spices called for in the recipe. It tastes great when reheated as leftovers, too. Serve with your favorite cornbread!
One Pot Veggie Chili:
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ c. chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic, or garlic powder to taste
- ¾ c. water
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1- 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained
- 1- 15 oz can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1- 15 oz can of black beans, drained
- 1- 15 oz can of vegetable broth
- 1- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 T. yellow cornmeal
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or tortilla chips for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot and add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the water and next 9 ingredients (through the diced tomatoes) and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, or until beans and vegetables are soft. Stir in the cornmeal and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cilantro for garnish.
What is your favorite way to make chili & cornbread? Please share below!